Banner

Orchard Girls

Friday, July 5, 2013

Nautical Gallery Wall

It's Friday, Friday, gotta fix it up on Friday... Wow, sorry about that. Anyway, I decided to make myself a gallery wall out of all the ocean inspired paintings I've been collecting. Don't worry, I didn't spend much money on them. They were either hand painted by little 'ol me or purchased at the thrift store!

Unfortunately, I didn't take any before pictures... or during pictures, for that matter. Just picture a blank wall to the right of the bookcase.
And yes, all of my books are turned backwards so the spine of the book is unreadable. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but thought I'd give it a try after seeing it in Young House Love's book. I like the way it looks, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like it when I go to find a specific book.

Okay, onto the gallery wall. First, I collected all the things I thought would look good on the wall. I decided to keep with the nautical theme, since I'm a bit obsessed and tend to hoard things I'm obsessed with (anyone else do that?). I gathered the paintings I had, the anchor clock, and wall candle sconce. The 3 paintings with the boats in them were purchased from Goodwill for a few dollars each. I painted the large painting, and also the silhouette of North Carolina.

As for deciding on the grouping, I just laid all of the items out on the floor, moving them around until I was satisfied. It's much better to do this on the floor than on the wall! Then I measured the entire grouping and started putting some rough marks on the wall with a pencil, so the grouping was centered and at the right height. I used the tape method for hanging my pieces. Here is tutorial of this method, since I didn't take any pictures!

Now, I enjoy staring at my paintings, pretending I'm at the beach. I'm definitely a water girl, and since we don't live by water now, I have to make up for it with my decor! 

I hope you all have an awesome weekend! 
PS. Sorry about the awful photos! I've lost my camera and am depending on my phone for the time being!

Check out all of the parties we link to HERE!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I have a weekly blog hop if you don't mind sharing some of your DIY work. What Are You Doing? Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sara! We checked out your party and linked up. We also added the party to our Linky Parties Tab, up above :)
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, thank you for letting us know about your Link Party! We would love to participate. :)
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried the "turn the books backwards" thing too. Honestly -- it's a dead giveaway about how much we are {NOT} reading. Haha. I do like the streamlined look of it, but have flipped them all back around. However, I'll probably flip them back again sometime too -- Depends on my mood, I guess :)
    - Lora @ Craftivity Designs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lora, I totally feel the same way! The books have all been flipped back around since I pulled out half of the bookcase looking for a boo! I even toyed with the idea of covering all of the books with paper and labeling them... but then I decided that would be WAY too much work. ;) Thanks for stopping by!
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with your beautiful nautical wall art. I featured/shared it on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/13-Canadian-Cottage/212948478842264
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, thank you so much! I truly appreciate that :)
    -Kenzie

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...